Mr. Cadillac Himself
Henry M. Leland came to Cadillac from Leland & Faulconer Machine Shop, where he had made engines for the Olds Motor Vehicle Company. Leland was a professional machinist and specialized in producing precision parts. It was this precision that gave Cadillac the edge in quality and performance. Leland and the former investors of the now-defunct Henry Ford Company chose to name their company for Antoine Laumet de la Mothe, Sieur de Cadillac, better known as Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac, who founded the town of Ville d’Etroit, which eventually became shortened to Detroit. Leland’s precision parts also allowed Cadillac to have truly interchangeable parts by 1908, instead of the roughed-out parts that other companies provided, which usually necessitated extra filing to fit, a task that not all repair shops were tooled for.
Carry on to learn about the earliest models from Cadillac.